Friday, July 18, 2008

July 18th

Today in class we watched a movie about how the media portrays women in literary media. I had not really paid attention to how much the media portrays women as quiet beings or dehumanizes them and emphasizes only one of their body parts. Looking at that video I realized how much women are sometimes just seen as a sex symbol, and how much my brain was trained to not pay attention to all those advertisements.
I think that by being here in Brown we (women)are making a step up to breaking the stereotypes of women only taking up little space, not having a voice and being only admired for their looks.
I also realized that us girls from WCCUSD have also broken a stereotype of young women not having a voice, I feel that this class has given us an opportunity to speak up as loud as those from middle class communities.
Tomorrow we are all going to go to Newport to a Japanese/Pirate themed festival.

1 comment:

Charles Ramsey said...

I am proud of you Adriana and I am also happy that you are becoming conscious of the images that portray women in a negative light. I also hope you see the images that are portrayed on Spanish television and now see it for the sexist images that it depicts. I also hope you call into question why young boys admire beauty over intelligence and begin to question their own insecurities about themselves and how they need to dehumanize women and especially women of color.

This is now the opportunity to expand your knowledge and learn first hand about the powers of images. I do thank you for posting the video. It is nice that we can get a glimpse of what is going on in the Women and Leadership Lab. I also hope it brings back memories for the young ladies who were in the class last year.

I also hope that you will take a campus tour and learn more about Brown and its history. This will give you more of a chance to learn about whether you see Brown as a "fit" for you as an academic choice.

Finally, I want you to talk to the other girls at Richmonod High and share your experience. You are the oldest of three girls in your family and you have a chance to SET THE TONE and create a different environment that will show respect for women. Moreover, on September 20th a local women's organization, The American Association of University Women, will honor and recognize your time at Brown. I hope you will give them a comprehensive report of what you learned this summer.

Take care.

Charles T. Ramsey
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District